Monday, May 2, 2011

Written Documentation of Cardboard Sculpture

Describe the process of planning out your design of the animal sculpture and the process of working in 3D? What were some difficulties that came up in the process and some positive developments in your process?


        To start off the planning of my animal sculpture, I got multiple photos of tigers from the internet.  I got these photos all from different angles.  I started to analyze those photos and get an idea of what my piece might look like in 3D.  Next, I started thinking about how I was going to structure my sculpture.  I decided that the best way to structure my tiger would be to have 2 full length side profiles (with different legs) and then use the slot technique to insert pieces of cardboard that would give my sculpture its width. With my plan complete, I started to execute it.  First, I drew the side profiles on some cardboard and then cut them out.  I started drawing and cutting out the width-creating cardboard pieces for the tiger. I had to make adjustments quite often to get the cardboard piece to be proportionate to the side profile.  Then, I began to place the width-creating cardboard pieces onto the side profile in sections, starting at the rear end of the tiger and moving forward.  To create the tail for the tiger, I drew and cut a winding piece of cardboard. To attach it, I cut a hole in the width-creating cardboard piece furthest to the back and then placed the end of the tail piece into this hole.  When creating my sculpture, the main difficulties that I had were getting the width-creating cardboard pieces to be the right size and shape.  I spent lots of time trying to adjust certain pieces to get them to look good.  The other thing that I had real trouble with was the face of the tiger. In real life, the face of the tiger is much more complex than mine, and the nose is much smaller.  However, because the side profiles were a fairly large distance away, I had to make the nose quite large so that it would slide on to both side profiles.  Some positive developments of my process were that since my tiger couldn't stand freely, I made a stand for it that balanced the height of each leg.  I think that this stand really adds a great deal more professionalism and more of a finished look to my piece.  Also, I think that because I spent so much time on the width-creating cardboard pieces of the tiger's body they turned out very nicely and they are quite similar to the shape of a real tiger's body.  Overall, I think my piece turned out averagely.  I often struggled with cutting and trimming the cardboard and getting the sculpture to look real, but in the end all of that time did help and the overall piece turned out not too bad.

How did you use form, space, and line to create a unique work of art?

        In my work of art I used form with the cardboard cutouts. I arranged the cardboard with pieces going perpendicular to each other, which allowed for a structure to be maintained and this structure being the form in my piece.  I used space in my piece by leaving gaps between the pieces of cardboard.  These spaces gave an implied filling but also allowed the viewer to imagine what actually filled in the spaces. I used line in my work of art to craft the various shapes of cardboard cut outs.  In my piece, I needed many irregularly shaped cut outs and to do so, I used line techniques like tracing.

No comments:

Post a Comment